You are viewing the article What is Folic Acid (Vitamin M)? In which foods? at Cfis.edu.vn you can quickly access the necessary information in the table of contents of the article below.
Vitamin M is a more familiar name than folic acid and folate, these names are listed differently depending on the product, but they are actually the same substance. So what is folic acid, vitamin M or folate? Effects and food sources of folic acid supplements , refer to the following.
What is folic acid?
Folic acid, also known as vitamin M or folate , is an essential vitamin of the body, helping to form and maintain cells, red blood cells , and prevent neural tube defects in infants. This active ingredient is found in broccoli, potatoes, avocados, oranges, grapefruits, egg yolks, liver, chicken and cereals.
What are the health benefits of folic acid?
- Folic acid has the ability to prevent changes and mutations of DNA, help prevent colon cancer, cervical cancer, …
- In addition, folic acid also helps reduce ulcerative colitis, hepatitis, myocardial infarction and angina.
- Folic acid deficiency will cause anemia, anemia, with symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, loss of appetite …
For pregnant women
- According to Specialist Doctor II Tran Thi Mai Huong – Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, pregnant women have a need for folic acid 1.5 times higher than normal people.
- Folic acid deficiency during pregnancy can easily lead to neural tube defects, causing birth defects . It is necessary to supplement with folic acid 3 months before conception.
- Folic acid reduces the risk of miscarriage, premature birth, low birth weight baby, helps increase the ability to conceive.
- Especially for babies and young children, folic acid plays a role in the formation and development of brain function.
- In addition, folic acid also helps prevent autism in children.
Folic acid is found in which foods?
- According to Doctor Thanh Binh, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, potatoes, fruits including avocado, orange, grapefruit help to supplement a lot of folic acid …
- Egg yolks, liver, chicken, and whole grains are also high in folic acid.
- Powdered milk is also a nutritious source of not only folic acid but also calcium, good protein for pregnant women and children.
Precautions when using folic acid
- Adults need about 400 mcg per day, children need between 65 mcg and 300 mcg depending on age, pregnant women need 600 mcg and breastfeeding women need 500 mcg.
- Too much folic acid will cause poisoning, itching, urticaria, rash, spinal degeneration. Detoxify by drinking plenty of water to flush out excess acid through urine.
- A doctor’s prescription is required when taking folic acid supplements.
- Folic acid is easily lost during processing and cooking. Therefore, it is recommended to use powdered milk to ensure the amount of acid absorbed by the body.
Source: Vinmec, Health and Life
Hope this article helps you better understand what folic acid is? Proper supplementation not only helps pregnant women protect the health of themselves and their babies, but also protects the health of their family members!
Good experience Cfis.edu.vn
Thank you for reading this post What is Folic Acid (Vitamin M)? In which foods? at Cfis.edu.vn You can comment, see more related articles below and hope to help you with interesting information.