You are viewing the article What is chlorhexidine? Effects and how to use it properly at Cfis.edu.vn you can quickly access the necessary information in the table of contents of the article below.
Chlorhexidine is a substance that is widely used in medicine and the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry,… Read the article below to know what chlorhexidine is and the notes when using this substance!
What is chlorhexidine?
Chlorhexidine is also known as chlorhexidine gluconate and chlorhexidine digluconate. This is a disinfectant. In the medical field, this substance is used by doctors to disinfect surgical instruments and disinfect the skin before surgery. Chlorhexidine is available in the following forms: gel, cream, mouthwash, and syrup.
What are the effects of chlorhexidine?
Chlorhexidine has the ability to fight harmful bacteria. Chlorhexidine prepared in topical form for the skin is used to clean the skin, avoiding the risk of infection caused by skin wounds, surgery or injections. In addition, chlorhexidine gluconate is also used as a mouthwash to help treat gingivitis.
Dosage and how to use chlorhexidine
Dosage of chlorhexidine
- Treatment of gingivitis and mucositis: Gargle twice daily with 15ml of chlorhexidine after brushing. Rinse your mouth with water for about 30 seconds.
- Antiseptic before surgery: Apply the solution to the incision site, wipe with gauze for at least 2 minutes. Then dry with a sterile towel. This process is repeatable.
- Hand sanitizer for surgeons: Wash hands with solution for 3 minutes with a flow of about 5ml. Scrub hands then rinse with water. Then repeat the process 1 more time.
- The pediatric dose has not been studied and determined yet. There are some cases when chlorhexidine gluconate can be given to children. But it is better to consult your doctor before giving this medicine to a child.
How to take chlorhexidine?
For creams or gels applied to the skin , you use the drug according to the following steps:
Step 1 Wash the skin before applying the medicine.
Step 2 Use medical cotton, blotting paper or applicator to take the medicine, do not let the tip of the vial touch your hand.
Step 3 Apply an adequate amount of the medicine to the areas you are treating. Do not apply the medicine to open wounds.
Use chlorhexidine soap :
Step 1 Apply the product to the area being treated.
Step 2 Gently clean these areas.
Step 3 Rinse again with clean water.
Precautions while using chlorhexidine
When using chlorhexidine you should note the following:
- The drug is not used for people with hypersensitivity to chlorhexidine and other components of the drug . Discontinue use immediately if signs of allergic reaction appear.
- This medicine is for external use only , do not apply to open wounds. Of particular note, chlorhexidine can cause deafness if instilled in the middle ear.
- Use caution when giving chlorhexidine to infants younger than 2 months of age. You should consult your doctor before using on children.
- When using a mouthwash containing chlorhexidine, it can cause discoloration of the teeth and tongue, or a short-term change in taste. However, this is normal and is not harmful to health.
- The 2% and 4% chlorhexidine solutions should not be used to disinfect the skin before surgery on the face and head.
- Consult your doctor before use if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Chlorhexidine side effects
Go to the nearest hospital or medical facility immediately if you experience symptoms of an allergic reaction such as: Difficulty breathing, hives, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using the medicine and consult your doctor if you experience dangerous side effects such as: Swelling or itching on the skin, severe burning, blistering, peeling or any unusual irritation appearing on the skin. skin area being treated.
There are also other side effects depending on the location of each person. If you have any questions about side effects, consult your doctor.
How to store chlorhexidine?
- Carefully read the storage instructions on the packaging.
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct light.
- Do not store in the bathroom or freezer.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets .
- Do not leave the product in a place subject to fire or electricity.
- Dispose of medication properly when it is past its expiration date or cannot be used. Ask your doctor or local waste disposal unit about how to safely collect this waste.
Frequently asked questions
What drugs can chlorhexidine interact with?
Drug interactions have the potential to change the function of a drug or cause unwanted side effects. Therefore, consult your doctor before taking this medicine and talk to them about any medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription drugs and supplements.
You absolutely should not self-medicate, stop or change the dose of the drug without the permission of your doctor , because this can adversely affect your health.
Do food and alcohol interact with chlorhexidine?
There are some medications that are contraindicated to be taken with meals or taken at the same time as certain foods, because unwanted side effects can occur. Alcohol, beer, and tobacco also have the potential to interact with certain medications. Therefore, to be on the safe side, consult your doctor or health professional about taking your medicine with food and alcohol.
Above is the information compiled by Cfis.edu.vn about chlorhexidine and the notes when using this substance. Hope they are useful to you!
Thank you for reading this post What is chlorhexidine? Effects and how to use it properly at Cfis.edu.vn You can comment, see more related articles below and hope to help you with interesting information.