You are viewing the article What is chicken breast malformation? Children with chicken breast bone defects are dangerous? at Cfis.edu.vn you can quickly access the necessary information in the table of contents of the article below.
According to statistics, 1 out of every 400 children has a chicken breast bone defect. This is one of the most common birth defects in children. So what are these malformations, are they dangerous or not? Find out with Cfis.edu.vn in today’s article in consultation with Specialist I, Resident Doctor Nguyen Hung Tien – Pediatrician – Neonatologist – Pediatrics Department – Vinmec Hai Phong International General Hospital.
What is chicken breast malformation?
Chicken breast, or congenital protrusion, is a chest deformity. They are characterized by an anterior protrusion of the sternum and ribs , in contrast to congenital thoracic anomalies.
Causes of chicken breast bone malformation
- Genetic defects of chicken breastbone: Most bone defects are congenital, so the genetic cause is quite high. In particular, if the parents or relatives are closely related by blood, the risk of the baby having a chicken breast bone defect after birth is very high.
- Chicken breast malformations due to heart surgery in children with congenital heart disease: In children with congenital heart disease, the breastbone may protrude completely first.
- Chicken breast malformations due to vitamin D deficiency: Vitamin D is important for the development of the child’s skeletal system. Therefore, once a child is deficient in vitamin D, it will increase the risk of rickets and malformation of the breastbone protruding chicken breast.
- Chicken breast malformations due to calcium deficiency: Children with calcium deficiency can also cause the ribs and sternum to tend to shrink or protrude out of the ribcage.
Children with chicken breast bone defects are dangerous?
Thoracic malformations generally have 2 typical malformations: chicken sternum malformation and concave thoracic malformation. In particular, the chicken breast bone deformity will be less dangerous than the concave chest bone deformity because it does not put pressure on the heart and lungs. However, they still cause certain effects on organs in the chest such as:
- It interferes with the breathing process and the functioning of the heart and lungs
- Loss of confidence, loss of aesthetics
Methods to treat chicken breast bone deformities
Currently, there are two common methods, surgical and non-surgical.
The doctor will perform surgery through the endoscopic hole, insert the metal rod into the chicken breastbone, make a brace of this metal bar and correct the protruding bone. Depending on the severity of the child’s protrusion, the time it takes for the chest to return to normal will be different, it may take from 1 to 3 years before surgery to remove the metal rod.
- Pros : Fast, efficient and low cost.
- Cons: Leaves a scar in front of the chest.
This is a manual method of external impact and it is mainly based on applying force to the chest wall with a dynamic compression frame. The pressing frame system is circular in shape, surrounding the thoracic region, the front side takes the protruding chicken breast as a fulcrum, the rear takes the fever column as a fulcrum, the pressure is adjusted to increase or decrease the pressure depending on each individual patient. the patient and his/her body. Typically, chest wall pressure < 2.5 PSI is most common for thoracic malformations.
- Advantages: Minimizing the risk of surgery, leaving no scars.
- Cons: The cost is quite high and has to carry the frame for a long time.
Prevention of chicken breast malformations in children
There are 2 ways to prevent chicken breast malformation in children, which are:
- Let your baby expose to the sun early to absorb Vitamin D
- Breastfeed your baby exclusively for the first time
Above is the information related to the chicken breast bone deformity that Cfis.edu.vn wants to send to you. When noticing that the baby has any abnormal signs, parents should consult a doctor for timely treatment, so that the child can develop the best!
Thank you for reading this post What is chicken breast malformation? Children with chicken breast bone defects are dangerous? at Cfis.edu.vn You can comment, see more related articles below and hope to help you with interesting information.