You are viewing the article What is Barcode? Learn about the application of barcodes in life at Cfis.edu.vn you can quickly access the necessary information in the table of contents of the article below.
When shopping, surely most of us see on each product there is a series of parallel black and white bars affixed on the package called a barcode. So what do these barcodes do? If you are looking for information about barcodes, do not miss the following article!
What is Barcode?
Barcode, also known as barcode, is a set of parallel lines of black and white bars affixed on product packaging. In addition, below each bar, there are also digits , this is a series of numbers that businesses use to distinguish business codes, service codes and products.
Barcodes are read by smart technology devices barcode readers and barcode scanners. When the code is scanned, it will receive information about the product that the manufacturer allows users to see such as the brand name, where it was manufactured, product size, shipment, inspection information, etc. ..
The meaning of barcodes in life
Goods classification and warehouse management
Before, when there was no barcode, mainly distinguishing goods or managing inventory was done manually, collecting product data, information and product attributes. However, with barcodes, businesses only need to have a barcode reader connected to the warehouse management system to be able to check inventory simply and quickly.
Distinguish real and fake goods
Barcode has a series of identifiers that help users completely check the origin of the product , initially verifying whether the goods are real or fake. Consumers can scan the code by reading software and apps on mobile devices very easily.
Payment of goods and transactions
Today, many supermarkets and stores have used barcode readers to help pay for goods faster and more accurately . At the same time, each product sold, businesses and consumers control the quality and origin of the product.
Some other applications of barcodes
- Health : Medical facilities also apply barcode control technology to check patient information, medical records, medical coverage, vaccinations, … to limit unnecessary errors. .
- Courier : Most delivery units use barcodes to check information such as: Name of goods, recipients, code, ….
- Aviation : Airlines also use barcodes to manage customer’s consigned goods to ensure that they are not lost or mistaken.
Types of Barcodes
1d barcode (linear)
1d or 1-dimensional barcodes are also known as linear barcodes. This is one of the most common types of barcodes today, each 1d barcode contains only about 20-25 characters, often used for applications in the field of retail business, printed on product packaging, boxes, bags. …
Currently, 1-dimensional barcodes are divided into many different types so that people can refer to and choose the type that suits their needs such as:
- UPC (Universal Product Code) : This type of barcode is usually used mainly in the food, consumer, supermarket,… This barcode is under the management of UCC (United States Code Council) should be Commonly used in the US, Canada and a few other countries.
- EAN (European Article Number) : This barcode is commonly used in countries around the world and currently Vietnam also uses this code to manage goods in retail and FMCG products,…
- ITF (Interleaved 2 of 5) : This is a type of barcode with high data compression capacity, so it can store a lot of information and is applied to control distribution, storage and transportation,….
2d barcode (matrix)
Matrix barcodes, also known as 2-dimensional barcodes, have the plus point of storing more information than linear codes . This barcode is very commonly used and is typically a QR code .
Global Trade Item Numbering (GTIN)
This is an identification code for trade items developed by GS1 used to search for product information in a database of businesses, retailers,… The best of this code is that it is possible to establish a product in this database that corresponds to that product but in a different database, across different organizations.
Thus, Cfis.edu.vn has shared with you information related to barcodes. Hope you will get more useful information through this article.
Thank you for reading this post What is Barcode? Learn about the application of barcodes in life at Cfis.edu.vn You can comment, see more related articles below and hope to help you with interesting information.