You are viewing the article What is alcohol poisoning? What are the symptoms and treatment of alcohol poisoning? at Cfis.edu.vn you can quickly access the necessary information in the table of contents of the article below.
Wine is known to be a familiar drink in parties. However, excessive use of alcohol will cause many harms to the body, including alcohol poisoning. Therefore, today, let’s find out information about alcohol poisoning with Cfis.edu.vn.
How does alcohol poisoning happen?
Alcohol is a form of ethanol (ethyl alcohol) found in alcoholic beverages, mouthwashes, and some household products. Alcohol exists in liquid form, so the body absorbs it more quickly than other foods. And conversely, the removal of alcohol in wine takes quite a long time.
Alcohol is usually metabolized in the liver, so when drinking a lot of alcohol in a short period of time, it will cause the liver to not be able to eliminate it quickly and easily cause the risk of alcohol poisoning.
Alcohol poisoning is known as a condition where we drink more than our body can accept. If used in excess, the alcohol in alcohol has an inhibitory effect on the nervous system and when there is a lot of alcohol in the blood, it will affect the nervous organs.
Alcohol poisoning does not only occur in adults who use alcohol but can happen to children when accidentally using products containing alcohol.
Symptoms of alcohol poisoning
According to Dr. Nguyen Trung Nghia, specialist in Psychiatry, people with alcohol poisoning often have the following common symptoms:
Numbness, weakness in limbs, skin, lips, and purple nail tips
When the poison is gradually absorbed into the body, the person with alcohol poisoning will have a decline in physical functions, causing symptoms such as difficulty walking, the limbs begin to become numb and weak, and the skin of the lips and fingernails are purple. again.
Blurry vision, unclear, color perception disorder
This is known to be one of the early symptoms of alcohol poisoning. At this time, the patient’s eyes will be blurred, not seeing clearly, seeing an object in two, color perception disorder.
With severe alcohol poisoning, it will cause unconsciousness, twitching limbs or convulsions all over the body.
Abdominal bloating, abdominal pain, vomiting a lot
Alcohol poisoning will also affect digestion and cause symptoms such as bloating, abdominal pain, indigestion and often vomiting.
Defecation, urinary incontinence
Urinary incontinence is also one of the common symptoms because poisoning will lead to neurological dysfunction.
Speak or slur even though you’re awake
Although the poisoned person may be awake, there are still symptoms such as delirium or slurred speech that make it difficult for the listener to hear or understand what they are saying because the poison has not been released.
How much alcohol does it take to get poisoned?
According to Psychiatrist Nguyen Trung Nghia, each person’s body will have a different amount of alcohol, but if you drink a large amount of alcohol in a short time, the risk of alcohol poisoning will be higher. For example, if you drink 2 cans of beer continuously within 5 minutes, you will quickly get drunk and have alcohol poisoning than drinking 2 cans in 2 hours.
Or depending on gender, the amount of alcohol is also different, like a woman drinking 4 drinks or a man drinking 5 drinks in about 2 hours will cause drunkenness.
In general, based on the condition of Vietnamese people, men should not use more than 20 ml / day, women should not use more than 10 ml / day, equivalent to:
- Women can use 250ml of 5% beer or 30ml of 40% alcohol.
- Men can use 500ml of 5% beer (equivalent to 2 cans of beer) or 60ml of 40% alcohol.
What to do when you have alcohol poisoning?
According to advice from Psychiatrist Nguyen Trung Nghia, first, you should call 911 for immediate help. Next, while waiting for medical attention, you need to do the following:
- You should keep in mind the type and amount of alcohol they drink, the medications they are taking, and their health information to inform the doctor.
- In the meantime, you should not leave the intoxicated person alone as there is a risk of injury and should keep the poisoned person sitting or standing firmly on the ground.
- If you see the person poisoned with phlegm, wheezing, or vomiting, have them lean forward to prevent suffocation. If they are unconscious, let them lie on their side.
- If the poisoned person has weak breathing, stops breathing, you need artificial respiration. If the patient has a seizure, hold the patient, do not let the patient fall or hit hard objects.
If the condition is milder, you can let them rest in place, but there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do not leave them alone or arbitrarily drive or operate machinery.
- You should let the patient drink a lot of water to limit dehydration and should give the patient easy-to-digest foods such as porridge or soup.
- You should also keep the sick person warm and avoid letting the sick person catch a cold.
How to prevent alcohol poisoning?
To prevent alcohol poisoning, you need to follow a few ways:
- You should not use alcohol with a concentration of 30 degrees or more in excess of 30ml/person/day and should combine eating and drinking.
- Alcohol should not be soaked with plants, animals, animal organs of unknown toxicity.
- Do not use alcohol without a brand, clear origin.
- For those who are in the process of being treated for the disease, especially those with liver disease, alcohol should not be consumed. At the same time, people who are tired or tired should not drink alcohol.
- Therefore, each person needs to be aware of their own health to know how to receive alcohol and beer accordingly. If your body cannot accept alcoholic beverages, absolutely do not use them.
Cfis.edu.vn has sent you information related to alcohol poisoning. You should refer to these useful information!
Thank you for reading this post What is alcohol poisoning? What are the symptoms and treatment of alcohol poisoning? at Cfis.edu.vn You can comment, see more related articles below and hope to help you with interesting information.